White Sox Analysis

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Debut

So amidst rumors of yet another White Sox trade and an inexplicable bout of insomnia that awakened me at 6 AM despite less than four hours of sleep, I've finally managed to create a "blog" where I can discuss White Sox baseball.

First, a brief note about how I got here: I spent the better part of the last couple seasons feverishly posting about the worth of various Sox players, transactions, potential transactions, the quality of the team's in game strategy, and hypothetical transactions I believed the team would be wise to pursue at WhiteSoxInteractive.com. Unfortunately, my performance based analysis and refusal to back down in debates got under the skin of a number of posters on the board. My disagreements with WSI's dominant faction eventually culminated in an ugly incident where I was temporarily banned for responding in kind to a moderator's sarcasm. Unwilling to accept the censureship of my opinions in light of the vast amount of time I already spent posting about baseball at WSI and extremely busy with school and my part time job, I retired from the world of baseball message boards in October.

While typing the above paragraph, I found myself engaging in the most pathetic form of internet drama. Whining about temporary banishment is in reality no better than whining about the fact that your internet girlfriend of two weeks cheated on you by participating in cyber sex with a random guy she met on Live Journal. However, while I promise never to engage in such behavior in the space again, my experiences at WSI are illustrative of what I hope to accomplish in this forum. Most importantly, I hope this space allows me the opportunity to analyze Sox moves in greater detail than national performance based analysts such as BaseballProspectus.com and BaseballPrimer.com. While the analysis provided by these sites is tremendous and will certainly prove far more insightful than any perspective I can offer, with 30 teams to cover, discussion of White Sox transactions is often brief. Comparatively, with somewhat limited restrictions on my time, it is not out of the realm of possibility for me to post four or five entries on a single transaction over the course of a week when waranted. The recent string of White Sox transactions revealed to me that I might very well lose my mind without the opportunity to offer my opinion on the team's trades and signings (one discarded title I considered for the "blog" was "What did Kenny Williams do now?!").

Another lesson I've taken from my time at WSI is that I am no longer interested in painfully long debates over baseball. I highly encourage anyone who stumbles upon this web site to comment on my entries when criticism is warranted. I also hope to respond to any comments appearing on the site. However, I no longer have the patience to engage in nonstop, back and forth conflicts. If a disagreement with my opinions exists which cannot be resolved through a brief conversation, it will most likely never be resolved. Hopefully the absence of constant bickering will allow me to effectively communicate my thoughts on the White Sox in a fraction of the time I devoted to posting at WSI.

With these guildlines established, let's play ball! (I apologize for being far too weak to avoid the cringe-inducing cliche.)

1 Comments:

  • At December 25, 2004 at 10:00 PM, Blogger Charles Rector said…

    Very good blog, Jeremy. I'm impressed. Of course, now that you don't have those troll moderators at WSI harassing you, its possible for you to fully air out your thoughts on baseball. Keep it up.

    In any event, noticed that you don't have any links up yet. Are you open to a reciprocal link exchange?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home